Friday, October 13, 2006

11 Books

OK, I've been tagged by Missy for what I can only assume is a blog-type chain letter. The only reason I'm doing this chain letter is cos I love books, and it doesn't threaten to leave me shagless, luckless and/or dead if I don't send it to 12,890 people in the next 10 seconds.

1. ONE BOOK THAT CHANGED YOUR LIFE?
That would definitely be Peter Pan. I used to HATE reading with a passion before I was forced to listen to this story by my book-mad transition teacher during story time. Remember the reader-folder thingys we had to bring home every night with a small kids book? So we could practice reading, and help create a bond with our parents at the same time? Yeah, well, I hated those "Where's Spot?" or "Let's follow the red balloon on its adventure!" and other crap. Peter Pan introduced me to my imagination, and hence, I can now thank Mrs. Ryan for introducing me to my addiction.

2. ONE BOOK THAT YOU HAVE READ MORE THAN ONCE?
I've read plenty of books more than once! How would I narrow it down? Erm...

3. ONE BOOK YOU WOULD WANT ON A DESERT ISLAND?
If I had to narrow it down probably The Lord of the Rings series by (as if you don't know!) JRR Tolkien. I'm gonna cheat and take three!

4. ONE BOOK THAT MADE YOU LAUGH?
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Weird, I know, but once you understand it, the context and the time it was written, the woman is hilarious!

5. ONE BOOK THAT MADE YOU CRY?
The World of my Past by Abraham H Biderman. He was a Holocaust survivor, who survived three concentration/death camps. His story is so amazing, if everyone in the world read it, seriously, there would be no wars.

6. ONE BOOK YOU WISH YOU HAD WRITTEN?
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Very interesting commentary on society, even though its fictional, you can see parrallels with our own society.

7. ONE BOOK YOU WISH HAD NEVER BEEN WRITTEN?
OH, this is SO easy! Hands down, the worst book ever written... (drumroll please...)
Lord of the Flies by William Golding. Written with the intention of torturing high schoolers who have even the remotest intention of attempting to pass English. The man is not a genius, as my year 10 English teacher proclaimed. He is evil for writing that book.

8. ONE BOOK YOU ARE CURRENTLY READING?
Do my evil uni textbooks count? Inroduction to Forensic and Criminal Psychology by Dennis Howitt. Think it sounds interesting? Well, its not. Its all THEORY!!! NOTHING IS PROVEN!!! THIS IS WHY PSYCHOLOGY ANNOYS ME!!! DECIDE ALREADY!!!

9. ONE BOOK YOU HAVE BEEN MEANING TO READ?
How to kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee. I will one day eventually get around to reading it.

10. ONE BOOK YOU ARE GLAD YOU OWN?
Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta. When I read it at 15 years old, this book showed me I was not on my own in trying to find out who I am.

11. ONE BOOK THAT MUST BE READ ALOUD?
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl. At 21, its still one of my favourite books, and not just because I love chocolate.


Right. Tagging three people. Problem is, I don't know three people with a blog! Um, Bella, Bree and Tasha.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Ooh readers! I remember them! I thought they were boring cos I was a kickass reader and they were very basic.

What's with The Handmaid's Tale? I'm seeing it all over the place. Might have to add it my list.

Oh my god yes, HATED LOTF, and I only had to read an extract from it!

Hehe I was just going, "Wow, forensic phsychology, that sounds interesting," but guess not huh.

Cannot believe you haven't read TKAM. Do it. Now.

LFA is a great book and Roald Dahl is a brilliant author. Enough said.

Anonymous said...

Yes. Lord of the Flies. I actually only read the first two chapters of the book, then refused to read the rest, but I still got an A- for the assignments related to it! Thankyou sparknotes, and thanks to my friends mum, who had studied it in uni and took sympathy on us! (She helped clarify the main points of the story. We still did the assignments on our own, which goes to show you can blitz a class without having to study for it!)